Friday, December 22, 2017

The Care and Feeding of a Pet Black Hole by Michelle Cuevas

Image result for the care and feeding of a pet black hole


Having just finished Confessions of an Imaginary Friend as a read aloud with my fourth grade class, I was so excited to read this new book by Michelle Cuevas.  I am even more excited now that I have finished reading it because I will be adding it to my read alouds for the the second half of the school year.

When a black hole follows Stella Rodriguez home from NASA one day, Stella soon realizes that the black hole is a great way to get rid of any items she doesn't want in her life or any memories that are too painful to remember.  When the black hole consumes more than Stella is ready to give up, Stella must embark upon an adventure that will teach her about love, family, loss, time, patience, and healing.

Told with humor, sensitivity, and honesty, this story touched my  heart.  I laughed, cried, and,  sometimes, did both simultaneously.  

As a side note, when I read the last pages of  Confessions of an Imaginary Friend to my class, I had students with tears flowing beautifully down their cheeks and a few boys who even excused themselves to shed their tears privately in the restroom.  It was an experience that brought us all closer together--I know this book will do the same for our classroom.

Thank you,  Michelle Cuevas, for writing beautiful stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment