Saturday, June 10, 2017

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Image result for out of my mind

Quotable Conversation
      "I know your're right, but--but...it's just so much harder for Melody."
      "No, it's harder for us. we have to figure out what's in her head."

Recommended for anyone and everyone who works with children in any capacity

I have to be honest and tell you that I have put off reading this book for a while now.  I can't tell you how many times I have heard the comment, "What do you mean you've never read Out of My Mind?  I knew I would someday, but I just had this idea that it was going to be sad and heartbreaking--and it absolutely is, but it is also uplifting and beautiful, and funny and clever.

Melody spends her days in a wheelchair being looked upon by others as being less than able in every possible way; however, with the right people in her corner, she is able to finally share all the wonderful and intelligent ideas that are inside her head.  She finds her voice and shares it with the world, but not everything or everyone is so accepting of this new voice.

I know of many schools who have had their teachers read this for a book study.  I get it.  It contains such a remarkable lesson about how important it is for us, as teachers, to find whatever works for each individual child we encounter.

It only took me a few years to read it, but I am so glad I finally did.  Melody will stay with me forever.  I will carry her into my classroom daily for the rest of my teaching career.


No comments:

Post a Comment