Saturday, June 10, 2017

Beyond the Bright Sea by Lauren Wolk

Image result for beyond the bright sea

Recommended for students who enjoyed reading Wolf Hollow, who enjoy stories of family, history, adventure, and mystery

When I purchased Beyond the Bright Sea by Lauren Wolk, I did not even make the connection that she was also the author of Wolf Hollow (http://thetalesofareader.blogspot.com/2016/10/wolf-hollow-by-lauren-wolk.html).  After reading it, however, I am beginning to understand her as an author.  While the stories are VERY different from each other, many of the characters resemble each other.  Crow is very much like Annabelle in that she is strong, loving, pure, and adventurous.  Osh is very much like Tobey in that he is secretive, strong, brave, and has moved on from a previous life.  Along with Miss Maggie, this trio makes a charming group who belong together in so many ways.

This book held an extra special interest to me due to the historical fiction aspect of Penikese. Many years ago, I read and fell in love with Alan Brennert's novels of the leprosy colonies of Hawaii.  Beyond the Bright Sea reconnected me with that interest, so I plan to do more research and reading about the island of Penikese.

No comments:

Post a Comment