Monday, October 9, 2017

The War I Finally Won by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

Image result for the war i finally won


I read and fell in love with The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley when it was first released.  It was one of those books that I pushed upon everyone.  I wasn't really sure how I felt about a sequel--the first one was so...perfect.  Could a sequel truly live up to the original story???  I answer with a resounding, "YES!"  

In The War I Finally Won, Ada's clubfoot has been fixed, but her troubles are not quite over.
She struggles with the idea of no longer being "damaged" as her mother always told her she was.  Due to circumstances that I will not reveal here, Ada and her brother end up staying with Susan as they move into a cottage owned by Lady Thorton.  Soon the cottage is full of characters, including a Jewish girl from Germany.  As the war affects the characters more and more, tensions rise and lines are drawn.  Ada must decide where she stands and what she will stand for through all of the conflicts.

I think one reason I love the character of Ada so much is that she doesn't always say or do the right thing.  She actually isn't always completely likable, but she is always growing and learning.What more can any of us do in life?

The blurb on the inside front cover of the book states that this book "...completes Ada's journey of family, faith, and identity..." I disagree completely.  Ada's journey continues in each of us, each day in every way.

Time to push this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment