Monday, October 9, 2017

The Song from Somewhere Else by A.F. Harrold

Image result for the song from somewhere else


I don't do scary or creepy--my students know this about me, so they know a book must be amazing for me to step into that world.  I read The Imaginary by A.F. Harrold last year.  I described it as what would happen if Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate and The Nest by Kenneth Oppel had a baby. As much as it completely creeped me out, it also pulled me into a world of magic, mystery, and terror.  The Song from Somewhere Else did the exact same thing for me.

Frank is used to being bullied by the group of neighborhood boys, but it can only make matters worse when the school weirdo, Nick, rescues her from them.  This rescue leads to a friendship unlike anything Frank and Nick have experienced.  While visiting Nick's house, Frank uncovers magical secrets that Nick has never shared with anyone.  Secrets that, while wondrous, are also very dangerous.  When the secrets get out, the tables are reversed, and it is up to Frank to figure out how to help save Nick, his family, and possibly the world.

While A.F. Harrold is an amazing storyteller, the illustrations by Levi Pinfold definitely play a huge role in setting the tone for this story.  One of A.F. Harrold's strengths is partnering with illustrators who truly understand his stories, as apparent in both The Imaginary and The Song from Somewhere Else.

No comments:

Post a Comment