Monday, October 9, 2017

The Secret of Nightingale Wood by Lucy Strange

Image result for the secret of nightingale wood


Disclaimer:  I always feel the need to put a disclaimer on any reviews of books from Chicken House.  I am slightly obsessed with this publisher and have been known to go to the bookstore just to look for their logo on the spines of books.  I have also contacted the company in order to beg my way into being a part of the company.  It is my opinion that Chicken House has some of the most creative books being published.  One can only imagine my excitement when this book was recently available at the Scholastic book fair in my school.

Now to the important part:

Quotable Quotes:
"Grief is just amputated love."
"She is tossed by the waves but she does not sink."

In The Secret of Nightingale Wood, Henrietta's family loses its way when tragedy strikes. Henry's mother is ill, her father is working out of the country, and Henry is left to figure out her way on our own.  Motivated by her love of fairy tales, she emparts upon an adventure where she uncovers hidden secrets that could cost her family everything or could save them all.  Through her adventures, she has to deal with doctors who, quite typical of the time period, are ready to treat both Henry and her mother for female neurosis.

Through her beautiful storytelling, Lucy Strange has created a world where grief, sadness, and loss threaten to tear lives apart.  Only through patience, bravery, and belief will this family survive.

I literally could not put this book down and stayed up most of the night reading it.  When I turned the final page, the characters stayed with me as I wondered what would happen to them next.  Lucy Strange has created a story of resilience that will be enjoyed by many AND a character to whom I aspire to be when I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment