Sunday, December 25, 2016

The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill

                                             



Recommended for middle grade students who enjoy reading fantasy, fairy tales, and adventure

Quotable Quotes:
"She must understand the laws of cause and effect and unintended consequences.  She must learn compassion and curiosity and awe."
"...there is no limit to what the heart can carry."
"That answer is too easy, my friend.  Look deeper."
" 'My love isn't divided,' she said, 'it's multiplied.' "

The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill is a wonderfully touching and unique read.  I was captivated from page one; however, the last fourth of the book took me to a whole different level as it mesmerized me in every way.  The theme of good vs. evil transcends the pages of this book.

The People of the Protectorate leave a sacrificial newborn for the witch who lives in the forest each year.  Little do they know that the witch is actually deeply kind and delivers the babies to families in another town.  One year, the witch makes a mistake with the baby on her way to deliver it and decides that she must raise her as her own.  The story that ensues is full of magic, love, adventure, acceptance, and truth.

I have many, many students in mind to read this book next.  When I had the cover in my "I'm currently reading..." display, my students were pleading with me to finish it because they were so drawn in by the cover.

I have never read any of Kelly Barnhill's books before, but I have now added her other books, The Witch's Boy, The Mostly True Story of Jack, and Iron Hearted Violet to my TBR stack.  If these other titles are anything like The Girl Who Drank the Moon, then I absolutely cannot wait to see what else this author has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment