Sunday, December 25, 2016

Gertie's Leap to Greatness by Kate Beasley



Recommended for students who are ready to step it up with their reading, but can still benefit from some illustrations and for students who enjoyed reading Ramona Quimby books when they were younger

I have to be honest about something--I had a difficult time beginning this book for my own personal reason:  I am terrified of frogs!  When the book opened with the sentence, "The bullfrog was only half dead, which was perfect.", I wasn't sure I could stomach it, but I am so, so happy that I stuck with it.

"Gertie Reece Foy is 100% Not-from-Concentrate AWESOME." and she attempts to show it in every way possible.  When she finds out that her mother (who is estranged from Gertie and her father) plans to remarry and move from the town where they all live, Gertie sets out on a mission to prove just how amazing she is.  The adventure that ensues is hilarious, emotional, and deeply touching.

Kate Beasley's new novel is one to be read and remembered.  It takes a lighthearted approach to real life problems that many of our students face.  As an author, she has a bright future ahead of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment