Sunday, October 9, 2016

Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk



Quotable Quotes:  If my life was to be just a single note in an endless symphony, how could I not sound it out for as long and as loudly as I could?
The year I turned twelve, I learned that what I said and what I did mattered.

Recommended for more mature middle grade and older students who can handle a somewhat heavy read and/or enjoy making a profoundly emotional connection to what they are reading.

Wolf Hollow is the story of Annabelle, a twelve year old girl living in a small town in Pennsylvania. Annabelle's world is forever changed when Betty Glengarry arrives in the town.  Betty is a bully through and through and quickly targets Annabelle.  Betty's bullying eventually transfers to Toby, a World War I veteran in the town who is misunderstood and incorrectly labeled by many in the town. Annabelle, who knows Toby as nothing but a kind soul, makes it her mission to protect Toby.  What transpires in this story will take the reader on an emotional roller coaster, but it will be well worth the ride.

It has been my experience that many fourth and fifth grade girls feel a strong connection to the dramatic and, therefore, long for an emotional connection.  This story will definitely meet those needs.

After finishing Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk, I did a little research into the book.  I was not at all surprised to discover that this book was originally written as a book for adults.  This marks Lauren Wolk's first book for young readers.  With many reviewers comparing it to To Kill a Mockingbird, I am thinking it won't be her last.

No comments:

Post a Comment