Saturday, August 6, 2016

The Wild Robot by Peter Brown



Recommended for students who are interested in technology (especially robots) and nature.  Also recommended for students who are ready for longer chapter books, but may be overwhelmed by the idea--the short chapters make it seem like a more friendly read.

As I was reading this story, I kept thinking of The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.  This connection may seem far off, but Roz very much put me in the mind of the tree.  

The Wild Robot by Peter Brown is unlike any book I've ever read.  It is the story of a robot who washes up on an island that is filled with animals.  The robot, Roz, has to learn how to survive the elements and relate to the animals.  It is a fast paced book that is both funny and touching.

I have decided to share this story with my fourth graders as my first read aloud of the school year.  It truly has something for everyone.  I know that each of my students will find something to love about this story, just as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment