Sunday, July 3, 2016

Reading Relationships (and Harry Potter)


                                    

It is not something that I have readily admitted to in the past, but I have never actually read all of the books in the Harry Potter series.  I read the first three as they were published.  I always planned to finish the series, but I just never did--until this summer.  Thanks to a student, to whom I will refer to as N, I am now beginning the seventh book in the series.

A few months ago, N and I were discussing books.  He began questioning me about Harry Potter. After multiple questions, I admitted to him that I had only ever read the first three books. "WHAT?!?! But you read all the time! You read everything!  You're a reader!!!" N responded quite frantically. Our discussion finally ended with me promising to read the series this summer.  At the end of the school year, I packed up my 40+ books from my classroom library AND my Scholastic boxed set of Harry Potter.

Since it had been several years since I read any of the books, I started from the beginning.  I remembered more than I thought I would and felt that I was revisiting an old friend.  As I continued reading, I began emailing N, who was traveling with his family throughout India for the summer. These emails have led to many "conferences" in which the teacher definitely became the student.

N:  "Who is your favorite character?  Why?  What predictions are you making?  Why do you think _______ did/said _______?"  And my personal favorite:  "I am so proud of you, Mrs. Earp.  This is not an easy read, but I knew you could handle it."

This has turned into one of my favorite reading experiences of all time for many reasons.  N was modeling the relationship that he and I have as teacher/student and as fellow readers--this warms my heart.  More than that, however, is the validation of the importance of our reading relationships--they allow us to connect on a different level; they put us on an even playing field; they give us a shared insight.

As I begin book seven, I would just like to say, "Thank you, N," for encouraging me and supporting me.  You are a great reading teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment