Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Hour of the Bees by Lindsay Eagar


Recommended for those who enjoy reading about family and nature; those who love magic realism.  I am also going to keep this in mind for students who are dealing with illness and/or loss in their family.

Quotable Quotes:  "You must find a measuring stick that means something, chiquita."  "No matter how far away you are when you bloom, you are always tied to your roots."  "Things are only impossible if you stop to think about them..."

Hour of the Bees by Lindsay Eagar follows Carol as her family prepares to move her grandfather (against his will) from his ranch in New Mexico to a home for people with dementia.  Carol really doesn't know her grandfather or what has come to pass between him and her own father.  As Carol gets to know her grandfather, we also learn about the history of the family and the ranch--and what a history it is!

Connections:  This book made me think of Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan due to its use of magic realism (which may now be my favorite type of read).  I also made a strong personal connection with this story.  When I was around Carol's age, my grandfather suffered from dementia for quite a few years. I remember my confusion as he would call me by the names of my older cousins and aunts.  It was an especially sad and difficult time for my family.

I absolutely adore this story--even if I did have to read much of it through my tears.  I can't believe that this is a debut novel.  I can't wait to see what Lindsay Eagar does next!


No comments:

Post a Comment